Sunday, October 02, 2005

fall foods


october already! it's gotten slightly cooler at night, so i traded in my thin cotton blanket for my feather duvet. ahhhhh, it's nice to be wrapped up in something warm and fluffy again! i also put my tank tops and sleeveless chiffon blouses to the back of my dresser, and instead brought my cashmere and wool sweaters within closer reach. i found myself stroking them --some fabrics can give you such a strong sense of comfort and indulgence.

fall (or autumn for some) is also the best season for food. the rice is freshly harvested and lots of tasty fish --including fatty sanma-- are in season. chestnuts also start appearing in markets and make their way into all kinds of desserts. marron crepes, mont blancs, marron glaces... i love them all. my favorite is this chestnut pie. it looks homemade but no, i didn't make it. i bought it at the "sieges kranz" bakery in setagaya last night, and had it for breakfast this morning because i couldn't wait for tea time.